Castle of Charles V, Holy Cross Church, Piazza Sant'Oronzo opposite the Roman Amphitheatre, the seat and the mosaic of the city's symbol. Other artistic and historical monuments to visit are the church of St. John of God, square falconers with notevolifacciate eighteenth-century palaces Marrese and Palmieri, theater Paisiello, the Church of SS. Niccolò and Cataldo, the former Convent of the Olivetani currently home to the University of Lecce and Porta Napoli also called Arch of Triumph, more than 20 meters high and built in honor of Charles V, whose coat of arms can be seen on the pediment. In the vicinity of the door is the obelisk.
It comes with its oriental appearance, all white, similar to a country of the Cyclades islands. The city stretches out into the sea through a headland and small island connected by a bridge. And note for the oil, wine and fish and in recent years has been more and more emerging as a recreation center. The Cathedral. Set in a tiny square in the eye barely manages to situate it in its entirety and read the fanciful sculptures sull'insolito carparo Brunato, equally versatile as Lecce stone. Consecrated in S. John Chrysostom, since 1126 is dedicated to St. Agatha, virgin Catania. It is the classic example of Baroque Salento with the facade richly animated with statues and various decorations. In the area adjacent to the cathedral, the seminary and the Church of S. Teresa with the adjoining convent of the Discalced Carmelites, from precious altars.
One of the many fortified towns of the Salento region which for centuries was called 'Terra d'Otranto'. The 'Otranto' can still be considered a Greek island: those who visit the city and region can be seen in the monuments and traditions constants of the Hellenic spirit. The 'Greeks' of Otranto is also reflected in the language: the people still speak greek Salento.
Extreme tip of Italy where the waters of the Ionian and the Adriatic are combined (see the line that divides the two seas for a day with mist). Fascinating for its beautiful Moorish villas which form the backdrop to the white cliffs and caves that follow each other along the coast such as the cave of the Devil also easily accessible from the ground through an opening height of about 2 m and 4 m in a tunnel, going down , falls with a drop of several meters, passing through a cave dome. The cave of the Nativity charge effects chromatic and plastic, and the Cave of Giants, which owes its name to the bones and teeth of elephants found in it, embedded in the detrital material mixed with purplish-red earth that filled the cave during a phase of regression of marine waters. In the lower part of the cave were found many hearths with charcoal and burnt bones of the Paleolithic period, at the top of shards of pottery from the Bronze Age. To the east of the promontory, towards the Adriatic, is the cave of the Great Ciolo, where were found some evidence of ancient civilizations.
You should also visit the Caves of Terrarico, the Caves of Verdusella, Ortocupo Cave, Cathedral Cave and the Cave of the cavity Vora taller than 25 m with a time crossed by a sinkhole, which creates fantistici games luce.Il lighthouse, that indicates the 'watershed' between the Ionian and Adriatic, dominates the landscape and the sanctuary dedicated to S. Mary.
The most interesting monument is the Church of SS. Crucifix (1621-1675), which collapsed in 1687 and rebuilt by Fra 'Nicholas of Lequile. Other monuments to visit are: the Church of St. Sebastian, sixteenth century, with the portal supported by two lions (now deteriorated) within altars particularly articulated (XVIII cent.). Adjacent to the said church the former Dominican Convent, now the Town Hall. In the princely palace was implanted, around 1845, the first olive oil plant in the province of Lecce.